Samuel Wee (Senior Associate)
Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Mr. Samuel Wee is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution Department and Intellectual Property Department of Yusarn Audrey.
Samuel has wide experience in general commercial litigation, with particular focus on complex probate matters, commercial tenancy disputes, employment disputes, insolvency matters and intellectual property disputes. He advises clients on the relevant legal issues and strategy to be adopted, including complex cases which have international elements requiring advice and coordination on multi-jurisdictional strategy and related affairs.
Samuel also acts for and advises clients on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious intellectual property related matters involving copyrights, patents, registered designs and trade marks. He also handles the registration and prosecution of trade marks and designs, and advises on intellectual property-related agreements.
Prior to his admission to the Singapore Bar in 2013, Samuel pursued his Bachelor of Laws (Hons) at the National University of Singapore (NUS). In NUS, Samuel was on the Dean’s List in his final year and participated in the International Negotiation Competition held in Copenhagen, Denmark, where his team were finalists.
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Wills, Probate and Administration
- Acting for a high net worth individual to defend and challenge claims before the Singapore High Court in excess of US$4 billion made by a company listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange.
- Assisting a Hong Kong businessman to defend and challenge claims before the Singapore High Court amounting to approximately S$71 million that were made by a global bank against him pursuant to a personal bank guarantee.
- Acting for the liquidators of a commodities firm in the management of the company’s affairs and in the first reported case in Singapore of an assignment by a liquidator to a third party litigation funder of assets valued at approximately S$50 million (Solvadis Commodity Chemicals Gmbh v Affert Resources Pte Ltd  5 SLR 1337).
- Assisting in defending a Statutory Board against a patent infringement claim where the Plaintiff’s estimated value of damages sought was S$25 million.
- Assisting the judicial managers of a major shipping firm to obtain a post-judgment worldwide Mareva injunction from the Singapore High Court against an India-incorporated wholesale trader of coal in respect of approximately S$11 million of the company’s assets.
- Advising a Statutory Board in relation to the potential infringement of its trade marks in Singapore by an international pharmaceutical company.
- Acting for the executor for an estate in relation to claims by the estate against third parties for the sale of an immovable property worth approximately S$5 million (UJT v JUR  4 SLR 931).
- Acting for the subsidiary of a listed company in enforcing its legal rights in relation to tenancy disputes in sums exceeding S$3,000,000.
- Assisting a local construction company in preparing an application for an urgent injunction from the Singapore High Court to prevent a third party from calling on a performance bond in the sum of approximately S$400,000.
- Acting for a Singapore partnership in relation to disputes arising out of loan agreements and investment agreements in excess of S$300,000.
- Acting for a Singapore marine and engineering company in obtaining injunctions and damages for trade mark infringement and passing off.
- Acting for a Singapore food and beverage company in relation to its trade mark disputes in various countries with a UK multi-national corporation.
- Advising and managing a wide variety of local and international clients in the managing of their global intellectual property portfolios (including conducting intellectual property audits).
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, including assignment agreements, franchise agreements, funding agreements, guarantees and indemnities, license agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Advocacy Tutor, National University of Singapore
- Advocacy Tutor, Part B Advocacy Training
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Law Society of Singapore, Intellectual Property Sub-Committee
- Member, Law Society of Singapore, Probate Sub-Committee
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Volunteer, Criminal Legal Aid Scheme
- 2013 : “Privacy Law: A Case for the Protection of Informational Privacy in Singapore” (2013) 31 Sing L. Rev 143
- 2016 : Cross-Examination of Witnesses in Proceedings Before The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore:Some Factors to Consider When Deciding Whether To Apply for Cross-Examination in Trade Mark Proceedings
- 2017 : “KIT KAT’s two-finger and four-finger shapes: do they function as badges of origin?” Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2017) 12 (3): 161-163
- 2017 : “Trade marks in Singapore: use it or lose it” Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2017) 12 (6): 454-455
- 2018 : Quantifying Damages in Copyright Infringement
- 2018 : “Shipment of counterfeit goods in Singapore: the extent of liability of freight forwarders” Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2018) 13(3): 174